Outline of the Awards
To celebrate our 10th anniversary, Offaly Sports Partnership in association with Sport Ireland and the Bridge House Hotel, Tullamore and supported by Dunnes Stores will host a gala evening on Saturday 3rd December 2016. This gala evening will recognise and acknowledge outstanding sporting achievement by sports people from the county in the past decade and will also pay tribute to the significant contribution that volunteers make to the sporting culture of our county.
Sixteen sports awards (from a short list of three sports people per category) will be presented on the night as follows:
- 7 from team field sports
- Gaelic Football
- Ladies Football
- 1 minority field sport award (to include American Football, Cricket and Hockey)
- 7 from a range of other sports:
- Court sports (to include badminton, basketball, handball, racquetball, squash, and tennis)
- Disability Sport (to include Paralympic and Special Olympic disciplines and adapted sports of other recognised NGBs for the inclusion of people with a disability)
- Equestrian sports
- Water sports (to include angling, canoeing, swimming, sub aqua & rowing)
- 2 from “all other sports”. A short list of six nominees will apply in this category
In addition to the sixteen awards, an award to recognise the major outstanding achievement by an Offaly sports person in the past decade will also be made.
In recognition of the invaluable contribution that sports volunteers make to the cultural life of our county, three distinctive awards will be made on the gala night. The three volunteer categories will be:
- The young volunteer of the decade (15 – 24 years inclusive)
- The volunteer of the decade
- A lifetime’s contribution to sport (over three decades)
Separate guidelines and nomination forms are attached for the sport achievers awards and for the sports volunteer awards. Nomination to be submitted to Offaly Sports Partnership will close on Friday 7th October 2016.
Contact your club secretary for further details