Club Events League Info

Week 24 Round-Up

Combined Counties Football League Roundup Week 25

There was plenty of football played in the CCFL at the weekend thanks to the great work of the clubs, referees and league officials.

The Combined Counties Cup took centre stage with several third round ties decided as teams battled to enter the fourth round draw which took place on Midlands Radio 3 on Sunday evening.

Rosenallis negotiated a tricky tie away to fellow Laois outfit Noreside Celtic. It finished 5-2 in favour of Rosenallis who were rewarded with a last 16 draw away to Senior Division side Clara Town.

Mostrim United can be very happy with their visit all the way to Stradbally as they came away with a well deserved 4-2 win to set up a fourth round tussle with Mullingar Athletic who currently sit top of the pile in the Senior Division. Athletic themselves were ruthless in their third round game against Coolraine as they ran in ten goals to just one in reply from the Division 2 side.

St Peters are another side from the Senior Division to cruise into the last 16 as they ended the dreams of Kilcormac United on a 6-2 scoreline. They will now play Edenderry Town in the fourth round in one of the most interesting ties from the draw.

Derry Rovers left it late to book their passage as it took an extra time goal on their visit to Longford before they got the better of Camlin to progress to round four where they will come up against another Senior Division side in the form of Melville United who defeated Clonbonny 3-1 in an all Athlone third round game on Sunday.

In the Combined Counties Shield there were also some third round games down for decision. One of the favourites to win this competition, Clara Town seconds were in no mood to take any chances as they knocked out Longford side Killoe by seven goals to one. Another of the favourites Ballybrittas are out however. They fell to another Longford side as Newtown FC made it team number two from Longford to enjoy their long journey back from Laois. They needed extra time to see off the Division 3A leaders as it finished 3-2 to the Division 3 Saturday side.

Laois will have at least two teams in the quarter finals however as Portlaoise AFC were far too strong for Clonminch Rovers on Saturday evening and Raheen defeated Portlaoise Shamrocks 3-1 on Sunday morning. The terrible twins Dan and Mickey Dalton were at again as they both found the net with Greg O’Sullivan adding the third for good measure. Eoind Delaney and Craig Moore were others to impress for a Raheen side that appear to be running into a rich vein of form at the right time of the season.

Ballymahon seconds are another Longford team to make the last eight after they edged out Gallen United seconds by a solitary goal to nil.

In League action C.K United got back to winning ways in the Premier Division when they defeated relegation threatened Mullingar Town 2-0 in D’Alton Park. Trevor Wright and Steven Weir were on target for the Tullamore men who edge ever closer to the title.

Abbeyleix Athletic continue to climb the table following their three goals to one success over Birr Town. Niall Wallace, David Brennan and Joe Bergin all found the range for Abbeyleix who will rue a poor start to their campaign as they are well capable of matching any team in this division at the moment.

In Division 3B Banagher United defeated one of their closest rivals for the title with a 4-2 win over Frankford. It now looks as though only Clara Town can stop the Banagher men from winning their first league title in years.

Abbeyleix Athletic second team moved back to the top of Division 4A with a resounding victory over a struggling Mountmellick second team. Danny Mills, Brian Bergin, Noel Burke and Colm Kelly with two to ensure that the race will go all the way to the wire in this division.

Portarlington Town lost some ground in their quest for the title however when they were held to a one all draw by mid table Maryborough. It could have been worse for the Port men however as they trailed to an early goal and then Maryborough missed a second half penalty that would surely have sealed the game and Town’s title aspirations into the bargain. As it was they rallied to force an equaliser when substitute Lee Brennan put Willie Dowling through to earn a point for his side and keep the title door open, if only just. Eoin Lawlor, Chris Floody and Brendan McNair all played very well for the Port men.

Most of the underage action fell foul of the weather, but there was one very important result in the Under 18 Division where Abbeyleix Athletic made it a great weekend for the club by beating Gallen United by two goals to one. Eoghan Fennelly and Philip Walton were the goal scorers for the Abbeyleix boys who have still not given up on the title with big games against the top two, Newbridge and Edenderry to come.