Club Events League Info

Arlington AFC C 1 – 4 LOFFA FC

Arlington AFC C 1 – 4 LOFFA FC

A decisive third goal scored by super substitute Lee Sheridan and a stunning debutante brace by Richard Reynolds ensured LOFFA FC a third win of the season and a double over local rivals Arlington AFC C in this Division 4A game played in Portarlington on Sunday.

It was LOFFA FC who started more positively in early exchanges, playing more direct football compared to the little more patient Arlington play. But this directness paid off when LOFFA FC won a series of corners and Arlington AFC found Christopher Dent’s corners difficult to defend. On his third corner, he found Reynolds on the far post where the striker finished low to the goal keepers left. Man of the match Reynolds almost added a second but it was denied from an acrobatic save from the opposition Goal Keeper.

LOFFA  continued to probe and double their lead on the half hour mark when Dent provided the finish from an identical position when he was put through by precise pass from Stephen O’Reilly, finishing inside the far post. The scored remained 2-0 at half time.

It was after the break where Arlington were most lively and after continuous good play from the home side, their number ten Adrian Woods, produced a stunning volley from outside the box to bring Arlington back into the game. At 2-1, Arlington were dangerous and competitive exchanges between LOFFA right back Sean Dunne and relation Arlington Jack Eakins would probably mean Christmas cards will be held back fro a few years between the two rivals. But Arlington continued to probe, so LOFFA FC shuffled the pack, pushing Darren Kirwan into midfield to break up Arlington play and bringing Sheridan on to add more experience. Karl Byrne and Anthony Lynch’s gamble paid off when a long punt by Keeper Martin Dollard was not dealt with by the home side defence and Christopher O Neill was able to find Sheridan free from 18 yards in which he expertly tucked into the keepers bottom right corner to score LOFFA FC third and ultimately killing off the home sides come back.

Soon after, Dent was finding more room to maneuver on LOFFA’s left and was unlucky not to find the back of the net directly from a corner, this time the post denying him of a second goal. But the creative midfielder turned provider once more, teasing a cross from the left to find Reynolds at the far post, where the striker finished with a header from close range.

Congratulations for all those who were involved in the Fund “Razor” on Friday, it was a successful event where all participants enjoyed as well as some heavy heads the following morning!! Training will continue as per usual on Wednesday at Portlaoise and on Friday at Portarlington. We are finished for competitive action for 2013. The league will continue on the weekend of the 11th/12th of January. However keep a eye on our Facebook Group as there maybe friendlies played during the holiday season for more details, please contact Karl Byrne.