Club Events League Info

Week 11 Round Up

Combined Counties Football League Roundup Week 11

Leinster Junior Cup games were to the fore for most of the top teams in the CCFL at the weekend and for the most part the results were good.

In some back games in the first round, Clara Town travelled to Wexford and demolished St Cormacs 6-1 to advance, but the performance of the weekend must surely be that of Division 1 Saturday side Mostrim United who defeated Leinster Senior League Division 1 side St Francis by three goals to one. The Edgwardstown lads played really well throughout an excellent game. Bernard O’Connor and Kiel Dempsey with two got the goals for Mostrim who should receive a great lift from this result.

In the Senior Division Mountmellick enjoyed a facile win over Gallen United where goals from Ciaran Kenny and David Cox were not enough to prevent Gallen going down to a heavy defeat. Killavilla United also ran up a big score in their victory over Melville United. Mullingar Athletic though were held to a one all draw by a resurgent Monksland side. Stephen Flynn scored for the Athlone lads who could in fact have won the game when Aidan Reilly’s shot was deemed to have been cleared off the line with the Monksland striker claiming it had gone in.

C.K United continue their procession to the Premier Division title following yet another win. Derry Rovers were the victims on this occasion, but the Edenderry men put up stubborn resistance. They led 2-1 at the interval, but goals from Mark Dunne and Kevin Keenehan turned it around for C.K in the second half. Dunne also scored their opening goal in the first half.

In Division 1 Gracefield got back into contention with a fine win in Ballinahown where goals from Eamonn Kelly (2), Pierce Mitchell and John Knight secured a satisfactory 4-1 win for Gracefield. Damo Fox scored a fine consolation goal for Ballinahown.

Division 3B has been thrown wide open following this weekends sequence of results. Banagher United defeated neighbours Lawrencetown to keep their chances very much alive and likewise Clara Town seconds who easily defeated Gallen United seconds 5-1. A Wesley Greer consolation was all that Gallen had to show for their efforts from this game. Leaders Frankford have been knocked off their perch however when they suffered a shock 2-0 defeat to lowly Ericssons in Kilcormac. Goals from  John McIntyre and Cathal Cranny gave the Athlone lads an unlikely victory.

Division 4A is fast becoming the most open of all the divisions with up to six teams not ruling out their chances at this point.

Abbeyleix had blazed a trail in the opening weeks, but only two points out of a possible nine over the last few weeks has given all the chasing pack a real chance.

On Sunday they were held to a one all draw by St Aengus who agonisingly equalised in added time after Daithi Brennan had given the league leaders the advantage.

Rosenallis are certainly one team now in with a real chance after they condemned new side Portarlington Town to their first defeat of the season. Joe Dooley’s smart finish had given Rosenallis a one nil lead at the break and further goals from Ian O’Callaghan in the second half ensured Rosenallis would take all three points. There were other fine performances from Eugene Conroy, Podge Gorman and Daisy Gorman. Stephen Terry scored the goal for a very disappointed Port Town.

Maryborough kept their slim hopes alive with a draw against neighbours Portlaoise Shamrocks. It finished two all with Dan Langan and Keith Bray scoring for Maryborough who thruthfully needed all three points from this one to get them into contention.

In Division 4B, leaders Raharney’s game away to Derry Rovers was called off on Saturday night, but nobody made any real impact into their lead. The most noticeable result of the day being Monkslands seconds 6-1 win away to Clonmore seconds. A hat trick from Alan Cormican together with strikes from Cathal Ryan, Sean Scorr and Karol Mroszszyk gave Monksland their biggest win of the season.

In the womens division the game of the day was the meeting of Tullamore Town and their near neighbours Killeigh FC. In a tough competitive game it ended scoreless and a share of the spoils. Both sides had good chances to win the game, but good goalkeeping and super defensive play meant that neigher team could break the deadlock over the 90 minutes.

In underage action there were outstanding victories for Killavilla United and Tullamore Town in the FAI Youths Cup on Saturday.

Most of the excitement in league action took place in the Under 17 Division. Leaders and hot favourites to win the division Willow Park had their game with St Aengus postponed so the chasing pack had an opportunity to put on some pressure or at least strengthen their cases for runners up spot.

Daingean Town and Emo Celtic were the ones to make most progress as it turned out.

Daingean travelled to Mullingar Athletic and came home with an outstanding 4-1 victory. It was particularly satisfying for Colm McDermott who bagged all four goals for a rampant Daingean side.

Emo Celtic were no less impressive in their 2-1 home win over a fancied Rosenallis side. Emo took the lead in the first half through Jacob Michalec and although Rosenallis equalised and looked dangerous Emo kept their shape and their nerve to grind out the victory when Danny Lutterell hammered home with ten minutes remaining.