Club Events League Info

Week 14 Round Up

Combined Counties Football League Roundup Week 14

FAI Under 17 Cup action was the highlight of the underage action in the CCFL at the weekend where Rosenallis and Willow Park advanced the next round. Willow had an easy victory over fellow CCFL side Mullingar Athletic, but Rosenallis were overjoyed to knock out the third Tipperary side in a row from the competition. Brandon Cooper was among the goals for an impressive Rosenallis side.

In the Senior Division Killavilla United went top of the table alongside Willow Park, but it was a bitter-sweet event for the Roscrea side who conceded a last minute goal to Arlington and had to be happy with a share of the spoils. However it is all set up nicely for next Saturday night when Killavilla entertain Willow in what promises to be one of the games of the season.

In Division 1 C.K United lost their one hundred percent record after they were held to a two all draw by Birr Town. Brendan Bracken grabbed both goals for the Tullamore men in an outstanding game of football. C.K are still very much in command of things in this Division though.

Like several other divisions, the title race in Division 1 is really hotting up. Clonaslee United are right back in the mix following a comprehensive 5-0 win away to Moate Celtic. Goals from Glen McEvoy, John Molloy (2), Conor Gorman and young Joe McRedmond pushed the Laois men right into the reckoning.

Gracefield kept their hopes very much alive with a good 5-0 win at home to Clonmore United. David Cox, Richie Porter, Clifford Nolan, Pierce Mitchell and Ciaran Wilmot got the goals for a Gracefield side who seem to have returned to form following a jittery spell.

Elsewhere in this division Ballinahown secured a hard earned three points on their visit to Birr when they defeated Highfield by three goals to two, the goals coming from Philly Hogan, Damo Fox, Conor Ronan and Earl Gaylard.

Boro Celtic kept the pressure on at the top of Division 1 Saturday thanks to a 7-1 hammering of Melville Celtic. Mike Morrissey headed the Boro men into the lead after only five minutes. This was quickly followed by a James Hanley penalty before David Harrison fired home two more and Hanley added a fifth before the interval. Second half goals from Barry Clarke and Henry Kenny completed the job for Boro who also had the best player on the pitch in Derek Murray.

Killeigh Ramblers have certainly not given up the fight in Division 2. A narrow one nil victory at home to Gentex keeps them within striking range of leaders Dynamoe Town. A first half goal from Pauric Horan and an excellent second half display from Killeigh goalkeeper Joe White were the main contributing factors to Ramblers success.

In Division 3A Raheen continued their recent good run of form when they held leaders Portlaoise to a two all draw in another exciting game. The visitors led 1-0 at the break, but Joe Shiel soon had Raheen back on terms and although Portlaoise regained the initiative, Mikey Dalton scored his 10th of the season when he powered home an excellent free kick with two minutes to go. Greg Sullivan and Tony Dunne were others to do well for Raheen.

In an exciting Division 4B mid table game, St Carthages Athletic came from two goals down to win 3-2 in Rahan. Three goals in the final 12 minutes from Leon Looby and a double from the experienced Willie Clear snatched it for the Saints.

Away from League action there was one game in the CCFL Cup and here Ericssons made their visit to Sutherland Park a fruitful one when they overcame Daingean Town by two goals to one. John Hannon fired in the winner for the Athlone side.

There was also plenty of CCFL Shield action over the weekend. One of the most exciting games was played in Michael Neary Park Longford where Killoe edged out Portlaoise outfit Tower Hill Rovers in a penalty shootout following a three all draw. Smith, Downes and Higgins were all on the mark for the Longford men to make it a long journey back to Portlaoise for Tower Hill.

Spartak Granard were travelling in the opposite direction on Saturday morning, but their visit to Ballybrittas was no more rewarding as they suffered a 4-1 defeat. Shane Mullins, Kieran Connolly, Kyle Condron and Darren Finlay were all on target for the Laois men with Eoin McGrath picking up the man of the match award.

Portarlington Town went out on penalties to Athlone side Melville Celtic. After a two all draw Melville edged the shootout to advance. A 40 yard piledriver from Alan Glass and a headed goal from the same player from a Brendan Maher free kick almost won it for Port, but Melville with a late equaliser forced the game to extra time and then won the shootout 3-2.

Another Division 4A team to bow out were Maryborough who had to give second best to a strong Kilcormac side. Conor Brennan and Philip Lewis scored two good goals for the Portlaoise men, but they were little more than consolation as Kilcormac ran out 7-2 winners.