Club Events League Info

Week 27 Round-Up

Combined Counties Football League Roundup Week 27

Congratulations to Edenderry Town Under 18 team who have qualified for the quarter final draw of the FAI Youths Cup courtesy of their fine 2-1 win in Limerick over a strong Fairview Rangers side. This is a very good young team that Edenderry have assembled and hopefully they can go all the way to the final of this most prestigious of competitions. No such luck however for Tullamore’s youths as they lost out 2-1 at home to Castlebar Celtic in a game that could have gone either way with the Mayo men just edging it in the end.

In underage league action Longford Town all but secured runners up spot in the under 17 Division after they beat Rosenallis their main rivals by five goals to one.

Edenderry Town are now almost certain to claim the under 18 title after Newbridge Town were beaten 2-1 by a well drilled Abbeyleix outfit on Saturday. Jamie Evans scored again for Newbridge, but it was not enough as strikes from Leigh Bergin and Darragh Cripps sealed it for Abbeyleix who now look the main threat to Edenderry in the run in.

In adult action Divisional Cups took centre stage with quarter finalists decided in all competitions.

In the Paddy Cotter Cup there were first round wins for St Peters, Stradbally Town and C.K United. Trevor Wright scored for C.K in their one all draw away to Killavilla, but the Premier Division leaders progressed in the penalty shootout. Stradbally Town were another Premier Division side to overcome Senior Division opposition when they came from two goals down with 20 minutes remaining away to Gallen United to win 4-2 in extra time. Goals from Conor Delaney and Alan Mulhall brought the game to extra time where Derek Gorman and Damien Murphy sealed it for the Laois men who had other fine performers in Colin Beale and Ger Byrne. In the second round of the same competition, Rosenallis, Clara Town, Derry Rovers, Arlington and Mountmellick United all made it to the quarterfinals.

In the Michael Dolan Division 1 Cup Grange United, Moate Celtic and Shinrone all made it into the last eight in dramatic fashion. Moate upset neighbours Temple Villa by the odd goal in nine in a thriller that went all the way to extra time. Meanwhile Shinrone also required extra time before they got past a determined Gracefield side in another cliff-hanger. Two goals each from Derek McLoughlin and the in form Philip Murphy saw the South Offaly men win 4-3. Pierce Mitchell and Eamonn Kelly with two replied for the Gracefield lads.

The quarterfinal line up for the Oliver Ward Division 3 Cup was also finalised at the weekend with Colmcille Celtic, Clara Town B, Portlaoise, Horseleap, Melville Celtic and Clonown Rovers all making it through to last eight games.

Likewise the last of the quarterfinalists were decided in the Division 4 Cup where holders Derry Rovers fell to Monksland United seconds. Saint Carthages qualified to meet neighbours Clonmore United B following a big 6-0 win over Kilcormac United B. Wes Rosney hit a hat-trick for the Rahan men for whom Sean Rosney and Willie Clear with two also found the net. For their part Clonmore came out on the right side of a nine-goal humdinger against Eagles FC in Birr. Longford side Killoe are also through to the quarter finals following a fine 5-3 win in Portlaoise over Maryborough. Goals from Nathan Da Silva, Adam Mulhall and Brendan Molloy for Maryborough were not enough to prevent Killoe from progressing.

The Womens Cup is also progressing along nicely with Killeigh making it into the semi finals following their 3-0 win over Clara Town. This follows Killeigh’s excellent runners up placing in the League secured by their victory over Tullamore Town women last weekend. Well done to an excellent group of girls.

There were also some important League games played over the weekend, none more so than the top of the table clash in Division 1 Saturday where Boro Celtic gave their chances of lifting the title a massive boost with a one nil victory over their nearest challengers Camlin United. The game was decided midway through the first half when enterprising play down the left flank by Clem McCormack and Derek Murray allowed David Roorey the opportunity and he made no mistake. With Mark Tarmey in goal and the entire Boro back four in outstanding form they handled everything Camlin could throw at them and could have added to their lead with efforts from Rooney, Morrissey and Casey going a begging.

In Division 3A the aspirations of leaders Ballybrittas took a severe knock when they were beaten by neighbours Emo Celtic 2-1 in Emo. Although they were understrength Ballybrittas took the initiative in this game and went in front when Paul Lynch sent a superb free kick all the way. Emo scored a scrappy equaliser before Darren Strong fired home the decisive score from the penalty spot on 70 minutes.

Tower Hill Rovers went to the top of Division 4A following their comprehensive 6-2 win over local rivals Portlaoise Sahmrocks on Sunday morning. Four goals from the outstanding Ricky Quillinan was the highlight of this game as Towers gave their title chances a huge lift. Paddy Downey and Shane McManus chipped in with a goal apiece to leave the issue in no doubt.